close ad
Databridge V2 with MySQLi support IS Now Available!
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

HTML Editor Content Area Does Not Display

Thread began 5/18/2010 1:21 pm by heather384148 | Last modified 8/02/2010 3:18 pm by heather384148 | 2762 views | 20 replies

neilo

Hi Heather,

Glad things are beginning to work out for you.

NOTES (No kfm tables):

Did you enable (check the box) File Management, and set the connection for Advanced File Manager during your config? I think the necessary tables will appear once you have uploaded (and edited) images via the kfm File Manager. Have you successfully uploaded an image or two? It looks as though kfm is good to go (in your JavaScript file).

CUSTOM SETTINGS:

It does seem to work best on one run through stopping only to select (highlight) your chosen site styles; I find that using the 'Advanced Manager Enabled' and then making manual adjustments to the JavaScript file so much easier with no (or cerrtainly less) likelihood of messing up the Editor instance. And yes these settings will apply site-wide, so only happens once.

The best results for me come from adding HTMLEditor instance once, and then copy the code on the page to other locations on the site. After that, make all tweaks to the JavaScript file.

PRESET:

I don't bother with pre-sets, as I always use the Advanced Manager Enabled as above (making further adjustments, if I have to, in ther .js file), I don't tend have an occasion to reuse any preset I make, that doesn't need the same amount of tweaking in a new site as if I had started from scratch. If you save a preset, it will look for the same stylesheet, and each of my sites uses different style rules.

CSS:

The Styles don't show up in your Editor area because you have not included the style select list in the toolbar set when you chose your buttons (the group is ['Style','FontFormat','FontName','FontSize'] ). You can select the 'Style' list seperately, without the others in the group. It would be simpler to add it directly into your 'index_messageArea1.js' than go through the wizard, who isn't very.

Your JavaScript file, around line 16, would then look like,

FCKConfig.ToolbarSets["Custom"] = [ ['Source','Save','Preview'], ['Cut','Copy','Paste','PasteText','PasteWord'], ['Undo','Redo'], ['Bold','Italic','Underline'], ['OrderedList','UnorderedList','Outdent','Indent'], ['JustifyLeft','JustifyCenter','JustifyRight','JustifyFull'], ['Link','Unlink','Anchor'], ['Image','Flash','Table','Rule','SpecialChar'], ['Style', 'FontFormat'], ['TextColor','BGColor'], ['FitWindow']]; /* Toolbar end */

Note the added 'Style', just before 'FontFormat'.

A couple of extras, while you are there: It is sometimes a good idea to specify a style (and add it to your stylesheet) that includes all the main values of your site's body style, and to add this to your stylesheet, to your xml file and add it to line 34-ish of the Javascript file, for instance:

Stylesheet: - Create a new class (i.e. '.mystylesBody'):

.mystylesBody {
background-color: #CCC;
font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
font-size: 12px;
line-height: 18px;
}

(Apply your own attributes).

The XML: - add a node to your xml file:

<Style name="mystylesBody" element="span" >
<Attribute name="class" value="mystylesBody" />
</Style>

And in line 34-ish of the JavaScript file:

FCKConfig.BodyClass = 'mystylesBody';

The only purpose of this is to ensure that your client will see in the Editor area a true reflection of your body style, and the other styles as applied on top of body styles.

UPLOAD:

I use an external FTP client to upload all my files, as Dreamweaver is less than useless. I haven't tried uploading the zipped folder, It seems fine to me as it is. I don't think there would be any point in uploading one preset for all your sites, you would have to download it and configure it for each site anyway.

I don't know if any of this will be useful to you, but I have done quite a few iRite then HTMLEditor pages, and this method works best for me! Each time you run the Editor UI, you get new problems. So I don't. Quick and easy!

In fact, if you take the time to copy and paste to add xml nodes to the xml file, and have a copy of a JavaScript, you don't ever have to open the
Editor GUI at all.

Special Bonus Track:

While you have the JavaScript file open, change 'false' to 'true' in the following two lines (at or near lines 22 to 23)

FCKConfig.FormatOutput = false;  /* Change to true  */
FCKConfig.FormatSource = false; /* Change to true */

This tidies up the html code in the editor area's 'source' view in to more meaningful well-format code (you see what's what). Well worth doing if you are likely to be making changes (adding a class to a div?) in source view.

Cheers,

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...