Yes - no huge secrets - it just looked like there had been a couple of extra goes at adding the server-side validations, - but the code hadn't been removed -and if the validation rules had been even a little bit different in each one (or just one) then it could be impossible for the form to validate!
To be honest, I didn't look too closely at each one, I just deleted the first two on the assumption that the last one would be the one that applied to the current form as intended, (although I would have gone on to trouble-shoot if it hadn't worked!) but we got lucky.
Deleting a page element in a dynamic page (in DW design view) doesn't always remove all the code that goes with it, and this can often cause problems - even if you've got the rest of it all right.
Brilliant post - many thanks for posting back - love the enthusiasm. I'm at pretty much the same stage as you, but perhaps one page ahead. The code and the pages start off looking like alien graffiti, then you start seeing rough patterns - my goal is to learn enough to be able to ask the experts here how my page broke, while using the right syntax.
But yes, WebAssist stuff is great - it has changed things for me hugely, - my background has been in design so I have always been afraid of meeting with clients in case they wanted loads of dynamic functionality and then I'd have to panic, pull-out or blag-it and find someone else with the right skills. Now I know that I can come up with a solution and get the support here.
Loads of learning comes with working stuff out so I have my frustrations but I get the buzz too, and i do like the buzz, - I have an addictive personality.