I added this into another thread where I was asking about batch uploading and the database relationship showthread.php?t=11178 - I'll add it here as well:
Can you please add that comment above to a suggested features for an upgrade of the PowerStore. Also - it seems to me that the PowerStore was designed by talented website developers and designers. Obviously, not experienced retailers, so there are some very basic and essential things missing. I am both a retailer and work for a wholesale manufacturer - so here is some insight on how this product isn't actually useful for professionals.
1) In the retail world a SKU is the barcode number. That is usually a 14 digit or so number that translates into the barcode by a reader. It is completely different from an Item Number which is what a manufacturer uses to designate its items. Most retailers need BOTH numbers but when they are laying out their product database and their Point of Sale system they use the Item Number as the designator for everything.
2) The Manufacturers Item Number is essential to everything. As a suggestion your database SHOULD be using the Item Number as the Key for linking products to catagories and catagory names and sales. Once again most retail Point of Sale (POS) systems use the item numbers as the Key not the SKU - but the Sku and Item number must be linked.
3) Not having batch upload for products is a huge oversight. Most professional online retailers will have online catalogs of 100 items or more. Adding these manually - is a HUGE pain and is extremely time consuming and should be easier.
4) Make it easier to customize the products page - with an easy way to add these customizations to the CMS. For example most catalogs need more than one product image - most would like additions that they could add to customize their store. For example I'm adding images and also want the Item Id Number to show on the page. (What you call the SKU.) I'm having to do all kinds of custom code to get this to happen.
5) Batch order export. I know that this is easy from the MySQL Admin - but I'm sure that adding this in a button in the Admin interface would make it easier for everyone. We need this for accounting and for shipping for busy stores.
6) Add in a reviews feature. The most successful online stores have user submitted product reviews. I'll probably have to hand code this in my store. I've also added the Add This to Any link as well so that customers can add products to Twitter, Facebook and many other social networking sites.