close ad
Install the LAtest Updates to Work with CC 2017 and CC 2018
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

WebAssist Solutions - EULA Update

Thread began 3/18/2010 4:18 pm by neilo | Last modified 4/21/2010 3:09 pm by neilo | 4886 views | 88 replies

yogastudents362523

Originally Said By: Office Guy-172461
  I don't think we are talking about an invisible line.  

I'm completely with Office Guy on this one.

One is the provider of services and one is the consumer of services. You can easily tell which is which by looking at who receives the money.  

Yes.

WebAssist used to sell to developer/designer and the developer/designer sold to end users. Now WebAssist is selling to both developer/designer and end users.  

Yes. And by those definitions, I am an end-user. But I bought the tools because it was costing me ever-increasing amounts of money to get my site done, and I kept looking at what the guy was doing and said to myself ... the only difference between me and him is those tools, the knowledge, and the experience. The tools, I can buy. The knowledge and the experience, I am prepared to work very very hard to get.

It has nothing to do with the experience level of the one that buys your products.  

Agreed. An example comes to mind from a different thread. [Wishlist]. As I gain more in experience and background PHP and so forth knowledge, so do I begin to see for myself what those tools are capable of. DataAssist ... SecurityAssist ... UniversalEmail ... Cookies Toolkit ... I just have to envision what I want, and then all those tools can work together to make my life easier. That's what a toolkit is for. My knowledge of PHP and so forth is limited, but that is where I am at variance with the initiator of that thread. If you have all the tools in SuperSuite (and I now possess a goodly number of them) then I have it in my mind (maybe wrongly) that if I am a half-way decent developer with a bit of experience, I pretty much already know how all those tools work together. I need a form there to gather data; I need to insert the record into that database over there; and I want to protect that page over there so spammers and the unregistered can't get in or do an SQL injection. And all that envisioning straight away tells me the tools I need, and how to start doing it. They are all together in my mind, and it is my clarity of mind that brings them together. Now ... if WebAssist gives me a wizard that does it all for me, then I not only know nothing, but how am I supposed to figure out how to solve my client's problem when it is a tad unusual (e.g. how to let someone split a credit card transaction over two credit cards, for example. I have now solved that probleml, and I did it by studying PHP code).

My personal feeling (and I am NOT a developer but an end-user) is that those are the kinds of things that make a developer. I mean no disrespect to anyone. I may in actuality BE an end user, but I would really much rather work hard to get myself up to the standards and the levels of the people around here who are serious developers, and who have the tools and the skills that I lack, making use of WebAssist to do so. I would rather that than have WebAssist make my life "easier" in a way that makes me incapable of thinking through, and solving, any problems I might run into.

If I were a Developer and SuperSuite did "everything" for me with one button, then I probably would not bother to even start using it, because I would know that by the time I have figured out what coding it has put where and that I don't want, and therefore need to customize, I might as well have done it all myself from scratch. I even now invariably find myself adjusting some of the parameters that DataAssist puts in for my purposes. It is easy for me to do, and I trust DataAssist to produce the correct code, and then I change it around with my own declared variables and insert some classes and objects. I have learned enough to do that.

I think OfficeGuy is right.

WebAssist used to make toolkits for people who knew what they were doing and who wanted good tools. I am working hard to become one of those people. But now ... WebAssist is making do-it-yourself gadgets for people -- self-helpers -- who don't have a clue. Nothing wrong with that, but best to be clear what's going on so people can make decisions. However, it is making even me, who has very little experience, begin to feel that maybe these products are going to be not such a good idea, and that a good PHP book will service my needs better, which is what I originally thought before I came across these products. Luckily, there are lots of good books around. And ... hopefully there'll be kind and patient people around here for a while longer to help me out when I get stuck in another idiot's maze of my own creation.

I thank them all.

Bye now.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...