close ad
Install the LAtest Updates to Work with CC 2017 and CC 2018
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

WebAssist Solutions - EULA Update

Thread began 3/18/2010 4:18 pm by neilo | Last modified 4/21/2010 3:09 pm by neilo | 4885 views | 88 replies

Ray BorduinWebAssist

I think that is still a pretty blurry line.

* Developer/Designer - Someone that creates web sites for someone else.
* End user - Someone that uses a web site to promote their own business.

But wait... don't almost all Developer/Designers create a web site to promote their own business? Don't most developers start as their own first client? I would contend that anyone that purchases our solution and intends to make money on them either intends on being a developer/designer of their own site or will realize once they make a few bucks off the site that the next step is to either hire or become one.

There are a lot of entrepreneurs that are only working on their own site, but want something custom and want to do it themselves. They don't want to hire a developer, they wouldn't, they want to become one, even if it is only for their own site.

To be honest this was our most common customer for the first few years and supporting them is not a change in focus. This was me when I first got introduced to web development. I thought I was going to create a real estate web site. I was an end user as you describe... it was too hard for me at the time, so I decided to try to make it easier for the next guy, before I knew it I was a developer... I don't think the line is as black and white as you would make it appear.

There are also a lot of new developers who are working to create sites for someone else but might come from a design, print, or unrelated background. They are completely unknowledgable... we get a lot of these, but we want our tools to work for them too.

I also know of a few people that move from one group to the other. People create a site for themselves using our extensions and find success and become developers in the process so they start creating sites for others too... this was my path.

How would we differentiate and sell to only one group? How could you ever tell the difference without a questionnaire manually reviewed... even then what if they want to become a developer but have no clients yet... what are they then? If a developer's introduction to the industry is almost always creating their own web site, how can we shun that person and not let them develop into a developer? I'll always say that any web site needs a web master... someone that knows what they are doing when things go wrong. No matter how easy it is to put up a web site, it will never be simple to run a business long term on the web if you don't have the skills of a developer or hire one at some point. Our solutions may help a mom and pop operation put up a web site (I still think there are few that have enough know how to sign up for an ISP and get a domain name but let's pretend they did) they may make a few thousand dollars on their own, but they will want to reinvest that money into making their website better and will need a developer. In my opinion, even in that scenario, we are likely to be creating work for developers and not taking it away.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...