close ad
Help us test the new Databridge BETA with MySQLi support
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

Do we have to wait for a shooting star?!

Thread began 1/20/2010 5:11 am by tone397472 | Last modified 9/11/2011 7:09 pm by tone397472 | 7664 views | 49 replies

yogastudents362523

I recommended a WebAssist product to an acquaintance, but had advised him that he would be well-advised to not seek help on these forums.

He came by. Had a look at this thread I told him about. And he told me that in his view I had exercised wrong judgement and that I should come back and have another look.

Originally Said By: Office Guy-172461
  Unfortunately the number of people willing to spend their own time to help, decreases  

I can understand that, but speak only to reduce the likelihood of this.

The forums should be a place to exchange knowledge.  

Since I had no knowledge to contribute, I have spent the last 18 months just quietly viewing when I had the time.[/QUOTE]

Instead they are reduced to people trying to bring the tools down to their level of experience, instead of taking advantage of someone else's experience to increase their own.  

My knowledge will never be equal to your own. My knowledge may also currently be paltry, but I really have worked very hard indeed to bring myself up to the level of the excellent tools that I have bought ... and I am only interested in furthering that process. That is why I am trying to make my suggestions.

I also am influenced by the company philosophy.

A company that makes so many roadmaps and tutorials and freebies available is clearly one that cares about its customers and products, and I am simply trying to make suggestions to add to this. I do feel that there is one small thing further that could be added to the company philosophy that would make life easier for both it and its customers, and I apologise if I am not making this sufficiently clear, but it is not for want of effort.

But I think that what I am trying to say is spot-on with this company's philosophy.

Keep in mind that your lack of experience isn't our fault. We had to go through the same process to get where we are now.  

I never "blamed" anyone for my lack. I am just trying to say that there might be an effective way to ease this given path, and I do believe that it is something in which you are also interested.

Check the poster's profile for previous posts to see how they treated others trying to help.  

Obviously, I am not doing particularly well on that score.

I used to spend a lot of time trying to help the new comers get started  

It is a pity you have given up, but I can understand why.

Many people don't even bother to read the articles I point them to  

I am absolutely not one of those people.

Originally Said By: carlene
  Basically you can go into any chain bookstore and find an entire shelf dedicated to Photoshop. Lots of fantastic helpful books that detail step-by-step tutorials on how to do what you want to do.  

There are also lots of great books on PHP. I believe that WebAssist would do well to study the manner in which PHP is presented in such books. I have a reason for saying that.

I thought to save time by using the WebAssist programs, but instead am spending time trying to puzzle out how to get them to interrelate so I can customize them.  

That is an important point that the originator of this thread was making, and that I have seen many other people make.

[QUOTE=carlene;47580]And yes, I would pay $50 for a step-by-step book Classroom in a book style book on Data Assist or eCart or even PowerStore or better yet - how to get them to work together.[QUOTE]
I sincerely believe that a WebAssist would enhance its products and its stature by providing a set of tutorials on its web site, and centred upon its products, to achieve exactly this kind of purpose.

... but when you get to over $300 dollars with a software package, one expects much better documentation  

Here, Carlene and I begin to differ somewhat in outlook, because I don't think that documentation of WebAssist's products, PER SE and IN THEMSELVES is the central point at issue.

Adobe provides great step-by-step videos with their software as well as thorough step-by-step and highly detailed help documentation.  

Videos of that nature are not in my view going to solve the essential problem that Carlene has articulated by saying "I would pay $50 for a step-by-step book ... [on] ... how to get them to work together.

Please tell your upper management to spend as much on documentation as on marketing. Because if you do that, your products will market themselves and your customers will virally sing praises of your products in other software forums. (Such as the Dreamweaver ones.)  

I do agree with that.

In a nutsell, (sticking to PHP), WebAssist has two essential problems in selling its products. (A) Ignorance of how Dreamweaver works and what its capabilities are; (B) ignorance of PHP (ditto for other languages). A person gets best out of WebAssist products when people have good knowledge of both.

Let's stick to PHP. It is not difficult to have a WebAssist approved list of recommended PHP beginner to intermediate books. You can then direct people to those. What are beginning concepts? Arrays, variables, couple of loops. Let's look at FileAssist (where I first started all this). Let's give people a two page tutorial in using FileAssist to do something functional, and that also acquaints them with some core concepts in PHP. If you look at the first 60 pages or so of all those books, they are all trying to get the same ideas across.

The conclusion is ... that they are fundamental to how PHP operates ... and also to how WebAssist products actually work.

So ... how can we at WebAssist use our products to get those same ideas across?

Let's take FileAssist (because its coding is relatively sparse). There is an opportunity, right there, to get some core PHP concepts across. Arrays, handles, you name it. All there.

Or ... you already provide people with a free eCommerce database. So ... take DataAssist. Use that.

What core PHP (and MySQL) ideas can we get across using DataAssist? Just look ... how many of the fundamental PHP ideas one comes across in the first three or four chapters in any PHP book are being implemented simply in giving people a one or two page tutorial on inserting a record into a database, using DataAssist.

And ... you in fact learn how to incorporate DataAssist more effectively into your own workflow.

To return to something I said earlier ... WebAssist makes a toolkit. What WebAssist can now very easily do is spend a little of its energy showing to its users how its tools can in fact be used to enhance their working knowledge and experience. O'Reilly, for example, is charging something like $700 for a PHP learning school. I wasn't even tempted. I have learned as much from using WebAssist's products and studying its code as I think I would have learned on one of its courses.

WebAssist's products are distinctly educational. They force users to be so.

With one change of word, I completely agree with Carlene on this point ...

Please tell your upper management to spend as much on ..... as on marketing. Because if you do that, your products will market themselves and your customers will virally sing praises of your products in other software forums. (Such as the Dreamweaver ones.)  

I think that elided word should be "education". I believe that when people realize how much they can actually LEARN, just by using these products in a structured and guided way, it will enhance your product base and clientele substantially.

I look forward to working through the upcoming WebAssist PHP tutorials. I plan on being the first.

Office Guy ... I again apologise for any offence I caused to you.

Bye now.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...