close ad
Help us test the new Databridge BETA with MySQLi support
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

Webassist competing with it's customers?

Thread began 2/26/2010 1:52 pm by info401979 | Last modified 3/19/2010 11:26 am by info401979 | 3511 views | 31 replies

neilo

Hi Brian,

I'm in complete agree with all that, well put.

The reason I originally posted was that I didn't feel easy about:

I think it would be relatively easy to justify a $2000 charge for putting up an ecommerce site even using powerstore out of the box and only reskinning.  

I wouldn't find that easy or justifiable, and I would certainly worry that it could easily turn round and bite me at some point in the future.

OG,

If someone makes the decision to purchase a ready-made solution directly from the publisher, instead of from you, it's not likely that you would still consider them as your partner as you receive no benefit.  

No of course not, but that wasn't the scenario. That 'someone' could also have decided to build the site himself, or decided to go with a bloke he met down the pub who is a bit handy with all that internet stuff and once built a web page that seemed to work ok. But instead he decided to hire someone whose job it is to provide a professional well-tailored package.

That's where your expertise comes in, finding out about and understanding the needs of his business, factoring in growth and scaleability. If he says he has seen a ready-made 'solution' for the store part of his site for $200, then either you think about it and agree that that solution may be appropriate for his situation or you don't. If you do, then you say that you will implement it at a cost. If you don't then you can explain exactly why it would not be appropriate and why a custom solution would benefit him more. You have the facts, the experience and the skills, which is why he has arrived at your doorstep.

Yes, people have perceptions, but you have experience. Pitch perception against experience, and if you are pitching informatively and with the client's interest in mind then your experience should inform his perception. For those clients that just won't 'get it' and are mesmerised by the dollar amount at the expense of what's best for their business, then your problem already extends beyond just PowerStore v. Custom build.

Dave,

It is our job as developers to find the best solution for our clients and lay that out to them in terms that they will understand i.e. costs vs benefits  

I couldn't agree more.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...