close ad
WARNING PC USERS: Do Not Install the DREAMWEAVER CC 2017 Update »
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

Specific Local Testing Server Guide

Thread began 2/20/2010 8:10 pm by esms | Last modified 2/26/2010 4:04 pm by esms | 2794 views | 28 replies

esmsBeta Tester

Originally Said By: neilo
  (Ray: - "You can run the sql script that is in the installer/database folder to install the database." Not without a mysql password you can't!)

The password for Wamp is set up in one of two ways. The first way (which is recommended, but never seems to work) is to go to your MySQLInstanceConfig.exe (configuration Wizard) here:

C:\wamp\bin\mysql\mysql5.1.36\bin (or whichever of your directories contains the MySQLInstanceConfig.exe file).

Double-click on this to run it, and choose the first option (something like quick configuration? - but not the detailed option). Run through two or three steps - one of which is to enter a new password twice. Do this, and follow it through to the end. If you're very lucky, you will have started a new server instance. If things go the way they usually do though, it will say that it can't find this or that config file and you stop for tea.

The second way (if you haven't set up a password yet), is to enter a normal Windows command prompt, and CD your way (navigate) to the C:\wamp\bin\mysql\mysql5.1.36\bin (or what ever version your mySql is).

If you are not in your computer's C: drive when you enter the command prompt, type cd.. (cd followed by two dots) (then press return) and cd.. (return) until you get to the C:\> command prompt.

Then to get to the correct directory in order to run MySqlAdmin, type the following exactly (except for your mysql server version which might be different).and press retun after each entry:

cd wamp
cd bin
cd mysql
cd mysql5.1.36
cd bin

Now your command prompt string should have grown to: C:\>wamp\bin\mysql\mysql5.1.36\bin

Now run the mysqladmin command:

mysqladmin

If all has gone well, you should get some welcome to mySqladmin text with the commands and help switches tyhat you can use. At the very bottom, in its own line should be:

mysqladmin

If you don't get any of that, then you may have not navigated to the right directory.

NOW: To set your password, type in the following exactly:

mysqladmin -u root password yourpassword

That whole line including 'mysqladmin'

WHERE 'yourpassword' is the password you want to use. Get it right, you only enter it once, and if you made a typo and don't know what it was, you are in a little trouble.

Assuming you don't get an error message and the prompt again says just mysqladmin, then you have successfully set up your Admin root user password. Type

exit

to quit the mysql client command line, and return to Windows.

NOW: Having set up your mysql root password, you will now find yourself locked out of PHPmyAdmin, You'd think there would now be a log-in screen, but there isn't. SO this is the next step:

In windows, navigate to: C:\wamp\apps\phpmyadmin3.2.0.1\config.inc.php and open it with Notepad or other plain-text editor.

Look for the lines:

$cfg['Servers'][$i]['verbose'] = 'localhost';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['host'] = 'localhost';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['port'] = '';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['socket'] = '';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['connect_type'] = 'tcp';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['extension'] = 'mysqli';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type'] = 'config';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['user'] = 'root';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['password'] = ''; /* Enter your password between the two inverted commas */
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['AllowNoPassword'] = true;

Your MysQl client (phpMyAdmin) now has the mysql password, and Powerstore 3 will now happily log on and complete the set-up,

localhost, root, yourpassword, yourdatabase

neilo  

Hello Neilo,

Thanks for that. I'm really grateful you're trying to resolve the problems PS3 throws up for the ordinary user, but I don't really want to start doing all that, to be honest.

I thought PS3 would just run through the Simple Installation Wizard - yet, there's been nothing but problems.

So, seeing as WA are partnered with 1+1, I'll go back to the original plan of buying a hosting package from them. However, before I do spend even more money trying to get it to run past step 2 of the 'Simple Installation Wizard', I've attached a screenshot of 1+1 in the UK.

Would I be right in thinking the only hosting package compatible with PS3 is the middle package - the one I've highlighted with a green box ?

Thanks

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...