I have no idea whatever what did it locally upon the server, but it is now fixed.
I only say what I did in case you can figure out what it might have been.
I cleared cache, cookies, etc on browser, that did not work.
I restarted local computer that did not work.
For good measure, I cleared again, still no joy.
I went to the server, and restarted CSF.
That did not work,
I decided to go for broke and restart all of CSF (for a second time), Maldet, and ClamAV.
To my great surprise, that worked.
PowerMessenger is again reading the database.
I do not understand why restarting all three of CSF, Maldet, and ClamAV should work because I do not understand the connection.
But if it happens again, I know what to do.
I shall now continue and try to figure out what values to put in my Audience to select and exclude all addresses containing webassist.
I am sorry to have troubled you … but … on the other hand, I would never have thought it was anything to do with either Maldet or ClamAV, never mind CSF.
Thank you for your kindness,