View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

Web Assist not available to IE6 users

Thread began 10/01/2009 7:45 pm by Reynold | Last modified 10/06/2009 12:42 pm by Reynold | 2531 views | 19 replies

Hiya Reynold, I can understand you frustration and annoyance.

But there is a bit of a story with Internet explorer and its reputation with both Developers and people who are just trying to get a small site together that will display fine on all platforms, and all browsers.

There is a kind of Standards Body (W3C) who regulate (perhaps too strong a word, - 'advise' might be better) how web pages and stylesheets should be fashioned so that the pages function and display equally well to all people, of all means and abilities, who access the Internet on their computers.

All of the modern browsers have been doing their best to comply with these standards except - until very recently - Internet Explorer. It has been dreadfully irresponsible and resistant to cooperating with the rest of the industry - probably because their software comes pre-installed on people's computers; and because they have had such a big share of the browser market, they probably never felt they had to bother.

This has meant that Developers and smaller website builders have had to do a lot of extra work every time they develop a site, writing the code properly for all the main web browsers, and then patching up a second version just so Internet Explorer users could see their sites at their best too. The worst of these browsers was IE6. Maybe people don't see any difference when they access the web on it, but they don't know the concessions developers and designers have had to make for that to happen. IE6 is probably the most disliked browser ever produced.

It was only when loads of people started getting rid of IE6 from their computers and switching to another browser (Mainly Firefox for PCs and Safari on Mac I believe - but I may be wrong) that Microsoft pulled its corporate finger out and reluctantly produced IE7 and finally IE8 which, I think, is a much improved browser, but still a bit slower and processor-hungry than the alternatives.

I personally use Firefox, - although I keep IE8 and Safari on one machine as well, and IE7 on the other so I can test websites on those browsers too. I have to admit, that I don't keep IE6.

So I do get why you're annoyed, but I also do understand why more and more developers and and sowfware writers are breathing a sigh of relief at IE6's demise.

I do recommend you try Installing Firefox from the link I gave earlier. It's free and would just take a few minutes. You wouldn't even have to get rid of IE6, - you could run them both on your machine until your happy with Firefox, or decide to keep with IE.

Anyway, good luck with everything. Hope all goes well.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Ease of use

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...