In order for me to make any progress at all I've chosen a form which is as close as any to my desired result; eCommerce Shipping:Cool Default.
The first time I did that I noticed it didn't have a security question so I went back in to add one which proved to be an exercise in futility. I don't see how in this case I could have simply copied and pasted a field that didn't exist. That said I've found a way that crashes much less often.
1. New page
2. Create necessary form
3. Find it be insufficient
4. Toss page
5. Repeat until sufficiency is achieved
6. Create desired page around form
7. Tweak css until the Gods heap praise
8. Step outside and smoke a joint
9. Ditch joint when boss comes calling.
Also noticed this on fd_cool_default.css and wondered at its significance.