View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

just need to know what this nasty little message means

Thread began 9/29/2009 12:54 am by mehd389652 | Last modified 10/01/2009 12:54 am by mehd389652 | 2329 views | 18 replies

Originally Said By: Office Guy-172461
  The best techs I've known, were not even allowed to have contact with the public.  

Well, I can certainly understand that.

I wish I had a first name for you, OfficeGuy.

Look I'm not in this for an argument with you or anyone, although it's a long time since I felt compelled to post a point-by-point rebuttal, I'm just trying to explain to someone who will listen just how frustrating it can be for a beginner when assumptions are made about his technical ability.

We have to begin from a standpoint that many - if not most - people who buy these extensions do so because they are assured that they are easy to use, and require no coding. Would you agree with that? We can deduce from that that many - if not most - of these people (I am one) will have some problems with the very basic stuff.

I appreciate the highly skilled nature of the tech's work - but perhaps that is part of the problem; perhaps those with the greatest technical computer skills should not be here explaining things to the entirely unskilled, their talents would be better placed improving the existing, and creating new products.

I truly believe that there should be some people who have <em>sufficent</em> skills to cover the bulk of the support work - and that this should be their <em>only</em> role with WebAssist. Any problems that they cannot handle, they can then refer to the likes of Ray and then report back with the solution.

This would release WA's prime resource to do what they do best, and leave us with advisors who can truly grasp what we're going through, they may remember the experience of going through it themselves. I can imagine that for someone who is in the process of creating reams of code for a new project it must - as you suggest - be a skill-shock to have to answer a question about localhost.

This is a serious, well-meant suggestion, not a pop at WebAssist for the sake of it.

I don't know what you're getting at with the 'unprofessional behaviour on the client's part'; is that for me?

I take your point about "I would rather lose a client than a good tech". But then one presumably has to ask (as a professional) "How many clients am I prepared to lose over an un-empathic support team?

I've said elsewhere on these pages that I don't know what I'd do without my WA extensions, and I've said that I do appreciate the help that is given here. It is just a bit painful to see the occasional thread where people come with the same problems that I have been through, looking for the same advice that I looked for and being given the same complicated jargon that I got.

That's all I have on this, I don't mean to offend or criticise for the sake of it, my intention is ultimately to be helpful - mostly to newcomers like myself, but also circuitously to Webassist through passing on my perceptions. I don't think it's entirely possible to suggest improvements without hinting at failings, but I will try to keep it on the positive side.

Neil H

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Ease of use

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...