Hi sorry for late reply, been busy with other work. I want to plan for this support ticket in advance so its clear what is required. and wondered if we can discuss on here first so that I can make preparations.
So wanted to ask a few questions:
1. Currently the database has 2 tables (first is a top level category and secondly a sub-category) - Note: the top level category - Would this be a good way to create categories and sub-categories?
2. The top level category also includes; New In, Best Sellers and In-Store (this is actually a filter from the product table where the client can use a checkbox when creating/updating products )I did it this way so that the client can add a category image and page description for these headings) - Does this sound logical practice?
3. The top level category also includes a record containing a details for my product search listing page (this way I can include a category image and description for the search results page (the search results page is also the main category page) - Does this sound logical?
4. The product table (at the moment) only contains a field to store the record id from only the sub-category table (I am thinking it may make sense to add another field in the product table to also store the top level category record id) - is this a logical approach
6. On the website front end - when customers hover over the menu - the top level link will send the customer to a category page where it displays ALL products in that top level category (if sub categories have been assigned to a specific top level category then a drop down displays those sub categories and the customer can chose a sub category which then displays those products for the sub category.
7. So from point 6 - I guess I would use an IF statement to control this condition?
So from above does these points make sense in creating main categories and optional sub categories? Is there a different approach that would be more logical (and if so could you give me details so that I can adjust the database before I do a premiere ticket?
Here is A Quick run down on my menu:
Lighting - (current there is no sub-categories but admin has the option to add some in the admin area)
Living & Dining - (this current has sub categories)
Sleeping - (this current has sub categories)
Accessories - (this current has sub categories)
Interior Design - (current there is no sub-categories but admin has the option to add some in the admin area)
New In - This is filtering via a value in the product table via a checkbox in the admin section)
Best Sellers - This is filtering via a value in the product table via a checkbox in the admin section)
In-Store - This is filtering via a value in the product table via a checkbox in the admin section)
if it helps here are the URL parameters I am passing (just examples)
From above the URL parameter "Department" = top category and the URL paremeter "Category" = a sub category and then there is Department=Search which indicate my search page.