that did not work
OK, so I made the changes to the directory name as you suggested and then rebooted my system. I then launched dreamweaver and verified that the extensions were gone. I then closed dreamweaver and once again installed DataAssist. Once that was completed, I launched Dreamweaver and did not see the verification wizard that downloads files to complete the installation. So I rebooted the system and tried to launch dreamweaver again ( I did this 4 times) finally, I attempted to launch the data assist pages wizard and nothing happened....so rather than continuing to waste my efforts, I deleted the new configuration file and renamed the _bak folder back to it's original name...now I continue to get the crashing that started this whole process again...it seems that the fix is to suck it up and hand code the pages since at this point i have about 5.5 hours troubleshooting the WebAssist issue with the extension. Sorry - a bit frustrated as I am under the gun on a deliverable this week.