View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

Populating a form field from a recordset

Thread began 9/17/2009 4:32 pm by troyd | Last modified 9/20/2009 2:40 am by troyd | 1807 views | 6 replies

Ok, this is very helpful. And thanks in advance. You are correct in your assumption of what I am trying to accomplish.

However I am a little confused on a couple of things. When you say to use contact_form.php?subject=$_row['subject'] for the link, do I actually use that exactly including the subject=$_row['subject'] or do I replace subject with the column I am trying to pass to the url? I know my contact.php page name will be different.

And then on contact_form, you would then first check to see if the URL variable exists (at the top of your page)...  

And when you say to use the if else statement at the top of the page, where exactly? Or do you mean the url at the top of the browser is where this statement will be looking? I'm sure it's super obvious, but I'm not catching it.

if ($_GET['subject']) {
$formsubject = "$_GET['subject']) ;
} else {
$formsubject = "" :

What I had tried, was using contact.php?id=<?php echo(rawurlencode($row_rsProduct['id'])); ?> in the a href and that worked to pass the record's ID to the url. And then binding the subject field to the column in the record set that I wanted. But that wasn't working as well and I somehow messed up my validation.

Your way looks like what I really need, I just don't understand it yet. Hope you don't mind a little more explanation.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Ease of use

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...