close ad
Help us test the new Databridge BETA with MySQLi support
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

HTACCESS Friendly URL doesnt work

Thread began 8/15/2014 2:19 am by Christopher West | Last modified 8/19/2014 10:09 am by Christopher West | 1072 views | 18 replies

Christopher WestCommunity Expert

Hello Craig. Yes I be interested in how you do it :) By the way, very nice website you done there :)

I think my mind is ready to explode, im also looking into expire headers and etag for htaccess, and they dont work either. Im wondering if my shared hosting has disabled that functionality (1and1). Having a few issues at the moment with its integrated CDN (using www.cloudflare.com) I think what had happened is it cached my site with bad htacess code and messed up the CSS, so had to deactivate it and see if the cache flushes out, and start over lol).

Also I was looking into php (rather than htaccess) versions of expire headers and etag setup? Any one had any luck there?

Also as Jason pointed out earlier, I did get the SEO friendly URL working for my categories if I manually enter the address into the browser it works.....So would I now need to go through my entire site code and where there was originally the code as below:

To test click on one of the category links on the footer of the website to see it in action. I havent changed any recordsets or added any other code...so wonder if I need to to prevent any future issues?

<a href="../category.php?Categories=<?php echo $row_Catg['CategoryLink']; ?>"><?php echo $row_Catg['CategoryName']; ?></a>

would I need to change it to:

<a href="../<?php echo $row_Catg['CategoryLink']; ?>"><?php echo $row_Catg['CategoryName']; ?></a>

Im a little worried changing any link in my website code to the above in case I am missing something that may cause an issue later on?

However I used the exact same method for products: as follows:

Options +FollowSymlinks
Options -Multiviews
RewriteRule ^([^/.]+)/?$ /category.php?Categories=$1 [NC]
RewriteRule ^([^/.]+)/?$ /product.php?Product=$1 [NC]

if I were to navigate manually to a product (as i havent updated the sitewide links yet:

for example enter this URL: http://www.dinkyfingerprintjewellery.co.uk/Christmas-Tree

I get this error message and its relating to the category.php file rather than the product.php file?

Warning: mysql_data_seek(): Offset 0 is invalid for MySQL result index 25 (or the query data is unbuffered) in /homepages/41/d416416140/htdocs/category.php on line 81

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...