OK Jimmy, I found the problem. I believe that I started with a preset form and design type. After I initially changed some of the fields and names that were in the preset, I also added some of my own lines and sets to create a form. After that, I kept using Edit Design to change the layout.
What I didn't do was use Edit Form since I was trying to muck with the layout so it would fit in my page correctly. Had I gone to Edit Form, I would have discovered that the "Label" for each fieldset (which is really the Legend) had this extraneous code in it.
So a label for a fieldset read "Tell us about yourself <class=". Another fieldset's label read "Contact information <class=" and the last fieldset had the label of "Security info <class=" . Since I hadn't been using the Edit Form feature, I never noticed this extra code in each of the labels (legends). I have no idea where it came from, but this is what was causing the problem.
Thanks for your suggestions and hopefully someone else doesn't run in to this problem (or if they do, they find this post).