View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

iRite and latest version of FCKEditor

Thread began 7/10/2009 6:17 am by Dooza | Last modified 9/15/2009 10:15 am by Dooza | 3423 views | 14 replies

Yes and no... I am not sure what goes into the R&D in modifying an extension and we also don't know what they have in the works... the problem with doing anything at all with FCKeditor right now is that the company that develops FCKeditor is ditching it altogether for their new CKeditor platform which show a lot of promise. I would rather Web Assist work on a completely new extension using CKeditor than toy around with fixes and updates for an editor that won't even continue being supported by CKeditor (as they have even changed the name of the company going forward).

The other thing with the new CKeditor is that it is SO EASY to call in your header, that it may not even be worth building an extension before... Once you upload the CKeditor to your site, you can even use the much better CKfinder file browser with a lot more ease too. Before with FCKeditor, you had to modify a chunk of javascript to get it to use CKfinder instead of the standard file browser... but now, you can instantiate the CKfinder right in the head code.

So I simply just added a snippet that I place in the head of my sites with forms that looks like this:

<script type="text/javascript" src="/ckeditor/ckeditor.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
window.onload = function()
CKEDITOR.replace( 'contentarea',
filebrowserBrowseUrl : '/ckfinder/ckfinder.html',
filebrowserImageBrowseUrl : '/ckfinder/ckfinder.html?Type=Images',
filebrowserFlashBrowseUrl : '/ckfinder/ckfinder.html?Type=Flash',
filebrowserUploadUrl : '/ckfinder/core/connector/php/connector.php?command=QuickUpload&type=Files',
filebrowserImageUploadUrl : '/ckfinder/core/connector/php/connector.php?command=QuickUpload&type=Images',
filebrowserFlashUploadUrl : '/ckfinder/core/connector/php/connector.php?command=QuickUpload&type=Flash'

Just by one click of the snippet... any text area that has the id "contentarea" gets the brand new far better CKeditor. So, I am just sure to use contentarea anytime I have a text area on an update form.

You should try that as I think you will like it a lot more.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Ease of use

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...