Using old notes, I found the change 777 to 755 in webassist folder. I also changed the permissions on the image folders but nothing is working.
I know it is the weekend and WA isn't expected to answer, but if any forum member has run into this and has another solution, please post. I have a hot deadline this weekend, plus another PG to install.
I also changed the common/properties.php file to 0755 in 2 spots
I used FileZilla to set the entire webassist folder to 755.
Using as an include, I can see the navigation, first, next etc but that is all.
update: I found the solution. The newly created "galleries" needed to be set to 755 also.