I uploaded a site I finished for a client and when I went to show the client the CMS I had proudly built with Data Assist, the redirects on update, insert and delete all failed to go to the correct URL redirect. This made me look a fool in front of the client. I presumed was something that maybe I had done. Looking into this more deeply after spending hours of my time trying to figure out this bug, searching Web Assists forum we find out this is yet another bug from Web Assist. I have spent lots of money with your company and I could list over 20 bugs with your products that are still not fixed.
This is costing me money because your products should be assisting me.
I feel like a beta tester who has to pay for the privilege.
There are bugs in your products and all of your products do not work together properly.
I want somebody to contact me directly and go through things or I will go to my solicitor and Sue you for loss of earnings.
I am not happy with paying for constant updates for products that have never worked properly and now you even have the cheek to charge for ticket support.
This is not fair Web Assist, sort it out.